You’ve heard the saying “what gets measured gets done, and what gets reinforced gets repeated”.
The same is true for your human resource management & people practices. Organizations have a greater impact with their people and HR efforts by monitoring key HR/people measures and applying reinforcement steps to drive desired results. By identifying key measures, tracking results, and making needed adjustments, improvement can be tracked and identified.
Most measures of employee results, behaviors and attitudes are a reflection of your people/HR practices. Document key baseline measures before implementation and track after implementation for a reasonable period of time to assess the impact of your training, new initiatives, policies, changes, techniques and other HR efforts.
Consider the following measures when evaluating the effectiveness of your HR/people management practices: Employee performance, turnover, engagement/morale, leader effectiveness, attendance, tardiness, accidents, staff efficiency and organizational effectiveness. Certainly overall business results such as sales, profitability, cost control, quality and productivity are a reflection of your people management practices. Soft measures such as communications, conflict, stress level and work environment also show HR impacts to the organization.
Measures of employee performance include, but are not limited to:
- Sales: Growth in sales numbers measured per sales person or sales per employee.
- Productivity: Output or results per employee work hour or other measures and utilization of labor and
- Quality: Number of internal errors, external returns or
- Speed or Quantity: The rate or quantity of output per employee work
- Accuracy: Ability to perform a given function or service exactly as trained or
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs): Ability to achieve certain essential job indicators or functions that, when accomplished, satisfy the purpose of a given
- Goal Attainment: Ability to set and attain specific goals that have meaning to the organization, team, customer or
- Competency: Any number of knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and behaviors which lead to impactful results and accomplishments. For example, you know a good customer service person does her job through demonstrated service skills, product knowledge, and interpersonal communication
- Performance Appraisals: There are multiple appraisal systems, all which reflect measures of
Employee turnover is the average number of employees who leave the organization divided by the average total number of employees. Tracking not only the turnover ratios, but also the reasons why someone leaves is a good indicator of your HR effectiveness. Conduct exit interviews to get the real reason someone has left the organization.
Generally employees leave for one of the following reasons:
- Poor fit with the job, hence ineffective hiring practices
- Dislike for managers or management practices, a measure of leader training & development
- Pay or benefits
- Work environment
- Better opportunity, which usually means poor fit assessment, lacking competitive pay or ineffective training or career path planning
Employee Engagement & Morale
Measures of employee engagement and morale are usually obtained through an “employee opinion survey” that captures these among other important employee perceptions. Conducting surveys annually provides employers with good indications of these important factors. An employee’s engagement level impacts their performance, attitude, and overall impact to the organization. Engagement and morale can also be measured through one-on-one employee discussions, task force meetings and through such measures as performance and turnover.
Leaders truly are the real HR managers as they coach and oversee employees and their work results. Effective HR programs and practices will provide leaders with needed training, resources, tools and techniques to best do their job. Although challenging to measure, leader effectiveness can be obtained through leader surveys collecting feedback from their employees, manager, customers and others with whom they interact. A 360 degree assessment that focuses on core leader measures is one method to obtain good HR indicators. Other measures of leader effectiveness are looking at the results of their overall department and employee performance measures under their direction.
Attendance, Tardiness, Sick Leave & Accidents:
Monitoring these important employee measures identify symptoms that help you understand overall effectiveness of your policies, training, practices, performance management and leader skills. Not only are these key expected employee performance measures, they can also be very costly to your organization if not addressed with creative HR solutions.
Staffing efficiency is measured by ensuring the right staffing levels and having the right person in place when needed. Measures might include over- or understaffing, resulting in reductions or downtime. Some organizations track their recruiting efforts through recruitment or new hire cost and number of days to hire.
People are the heart and soul of an organization, and determine its overall effectiveness. Therefore, overall business results are another indicator of HR effectiveness. Most organizations measure their effectiveness looking at key business measures such as income statements, stock price, business growth, strategy achievement, objective attainment, budget achievement and so on.
Monitor and communicate these key measures often to see greater results from your people management practices.
About HR Service, Inc.
HR Service provides broker and client solutions for benefit ERISA compliance and HR, insuring organizations meet ERISA and Department of Labor (DOL) requirements for: Summary Plan Description Wraps (SPD Wraps), Employee Notifications, 125 Premium Only Plans (125 POP), Summaries of Material Modification (SMM), Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA), ACA Reporting, and Employment Laws. Our web-based SPD Wraps, Employee Notices, 125 POPs, and ACA Reporting tools make it easy to comply with ERISA. Visit us online at www.HRServiceInc.com or call (855) 447-3375 for SPD Wraps, 125 POPs, HR Support, ACA Reporting, HIPAA Solutions, HR Support, and more.